For Teacher Appreciation Day, Hallmark Lettering Artist Amber G. came up with the cutest DIY teacher gift: A zine-style note with spaces for your kiddo to personalize a message. Send it along with a little flower arrangement for a sweet “thank you.” Here’s how to put your own together.
How to make a Personalized Zine
- 8.5×11 paper
- Free downloadable PDF
- Color printer
- Craft knife
- Metal ruler
- Cutting mat
- Stapler (optional)
How to make your DIY teacher gift
- Print the free downloadable zine on 8.5×11 paper.
- Line the ruler up on the crop marks in each corner of the drawing, and use the craft knife to trim the border off the top, bottom, and sides of the design.
3. Fold the paper in half horizontally with the design facing out.
4. Unfold it.
5. Fold it in half vertically with the design facing out.
6. Fold the left edge of the paper in to line up with the center crease.
7. Repeat with the right edge.
8. Unfold paper and lay flat on your cutting board with the design facing up.
9. Line the ruler up on the horizontal fold, and cut along the crease between the two center panels.
10. Fold the paper in half horizontally.
11. Push the two ends together so the center panels form “pages.”
12. Fold the center panels to the right, then fold the left side to the back. (“For a great teacher” should be on the front, with “Happy Teacher Appreciation Day” on the back.)
13. Staple if desired.
Now it’s time for your child to fill in the blanks—either alone or with your help. Part of the fun is getting to hear what little ones like best about their teacher!