Hallmark designer John Dunne is back with another holiday cocktail to bring some extra happy to your next seasonal gathering.
Let me paint you a little picture: You are sitting in a wing-backed oxblood leather chair in a room lit only by the glittering glow of a Christmas tree and the hissing crackle of a wood-burning fire. Outside, the wind gently redistributes the freshly fallen snow. It’s Christmas Eve. The family is all tucked away in warm beds. Everything is quiet and peaceful. In your right hand is a glass filled to the brim with a deep, thick, chocolaty brown liquid topped with a rich white foam, sprinkled with freshly grated nutmeg. You bring this drink to your lips, and in one inextricable moment you are overtaken by flavors of cocoa, espresso, dark rum, rich froth, spicy nutmeg and the apparent-yet-comforting warmth of booziness. The Black Flip: It’s my Christmas gift to you. May this season be filled with great joy and peace. Merry Christmas.
- 2 oz. Old Rasputin Stout, North Coast Brewing
- 1.5 oz. Cruzan Black Strap Rum
- .5 oz. Demerara Syrup (raw sugar syrup)
- 1 whole organic egg (use a large fresh egg if possible)
1. Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and swirl them to decarbonate the beer.
2. Dry-shake, then shake with ice and strain into a chilled fizz glass
3. Garnish with grated nutmeg
—modified from a recipe by Jim Meehan, PDT, 2007
Check out John’s previous cocktail how-tos, the Corpse Reviver No. 2 and The Harvest Moon. And tag us in your holiday toast pics on Instagram! We want to see what you’re sipping: @think.make.share.
All photos by Hallmark photographer Jake Johnson.