National Handwriting Day is January 23. National Compliment Day is January 24. So we figure why not rep them all at once?
To get you inspired, our writers gave us some excellent compliments and our good friend Lynn G. hand-lettered them for us. So it’s as easy as printing one out and adding your own, super-personal compliment in your own handwriting on the back.
BONUS: Writing things by hand has a whole bunch of healthy benefits—from engaging more parts of your brain to sparking creativity to making you a better writer. (No matter if it’s chicken scratch or masterful calligraphy.) And your hand-written notes are more meaningful to the lucky person on the receiving end.
Or, obviously, you can take advantage of National Handwriting and Compliment Days to craft, letter, and deliver messages of your own.
Need a little help getting started? First, print out the free downloadable compliment template.
WHO TO COMPLIMENT
- Your partner
- Your kiddos
- Your besties
- Your coworkers
- Your parents
- Your siblings
- Your stylist or trainer
- Teachers, nurses, doctors, or clergy-folks
HOW TO GIVE A COMPLIMENT
Whether you write it down or say it out loud, it’s hard to keep from smiling when you’re complimenting someone.
- Talk about what make makes them special. Is it an innate quality? Or something they have to work at? Thoughtful habits or behavior? Is it a talent or a skill? Something they do for you, for others, or as part of their job? Mention specifics and details.
- Say how much it matters. Tell them you noticed, and why. Let them know what kind of an impact they make. Express your appreciation.
- Keep it real. Don’t worry about flowery language—unless that comes naturally to you. That you say it is more important than how you say it.
WHERE TO LEAVE A COMPLIMENT
If you’re putting your compliment into writing, here are some ways to deliver it.
- Taped to a mirror
- Left on a car seat
- Sent through the mail
- Tucked in a lunch box
- Dropped on an office chair
- Snuck in a cabinet or drawer
- Laid on a pillow
- Pinned to a bulletin board
- Stuck on (or in!) the fridge
- Slipped in a pocket
- Hidden under a keyboard or laptop
We’ve got even more printable compliments here!
Ready to write nice things on National Handwriting Day and deliver them on National Compliment Day? We’d love to see how it goes! Share your version on Instagram and Facebook.