Ice cream sandwich toppings make the perfect treat even sweeter—and these additions will make your favorite ice cream and cookie combo almost too pretty to eat.
It’s super easy, too—whether you’re serving a crowd or indulging with a friend. For a party, fill a little freezer with ice cream sandwiches and a few bowls with different toppings and let the guests do the sticky work. Here are some of our favorite ideas.
Gather your ice cream sandwich toppings
- Sprinkles: The more fabulous, the better—jimmies and dragées and sprinkles, oh my. You can find some here and here.
- Edible flowers
- Nuts: Almond slices and slivers are lovely.
- Cereal: The kind with marshmallows. Or maybe JUST the marshmallows.
- Crushed candy
- Crumbled cookies
Next, grab some yummy sandwiches
- French macaron with ice cream or sorbet: Ours were made by Natasha’s Mulberry & Mott.
- Your favorite cookies with your favorite ice cream: Our friends at Brit + Co. have so many ideas.
- The regular grocery store kind: Unleash their true potential.
And now the fun part!
Put a few spoonfuls of your topping (or toppings—this is no time for restraint) on a plate or saucer.
Start by holding your sandwich by the cookies (if you’re using fragile macarons, keep your fingers on the edges).
Then roll the edges in the toppings.
Optional step 4: Don’t forget to Instagram it. Tag @think.make.share.
Pro-tip: Have some wet-naps or damp towels ready, because the decorating and the eating will be as sticky as they are delicious.
Looking for more ways to spend sunny days? Go the healthy route with these colorful summer smoothies. Invite some friends over for a shrimp boil. And it’s not too late to make a summer fun list with your kiddos!
Photography and styling: Erin Martinez