You don’t need an excuse to get together with your besties. But if one falls in your lap, you’re going to take it. And that’s the beautify of Galentine’s Day: It’s a fabulous excuse to get the girls together and do something just a little bit more festive than usual. Hallmark Designer Lindsay T. is a big fan of the combo brunch and crafternoon (that and more themes here), so fellow Designer Ashley H. tweaked one of our favorite projects for these DIY Galentine’s Day gifts. Mix up some Frosé and invite your friends over to paint these canvas planters—or make them yourself to give out as Galentine’s Day party favors. They’re fun and easy and the absolute cutest.
SUPPLIES FOR MINI CANVAS PLANTER WRAPS
- The cutest small plants or succulents you can find
- Canvas (or another sturdy cloth—heck, paper, even) cut in 7″ squares
- All sorts of brushes (they do not have to be fancy)
- Red and pink latex paint
- Plastic palettes or paper plates
- Bakers twine
(Editor’s note: This particular pre-crafternoon brunch was a garlic-themed congrats party for Designer Shannon B., so those mints were kind of essential.)
Ideas for painting your DIY Galentine’s Day gifts
Make a pattern: Try Xs and Os, hearts, dots, or any other simple marks.
Dip one side of a wide brush in pink paint and the other in red. Swipe. (This one came in very high on the “ooooooh/aaaaaaah” meter.)
Use your brush—or things that are not even brushes—to make simple marks.
HOW TO WRAP THE PLANT
- After the paint is dry, put the canvas design-side-down and put the potted plant in the center.
- Pull up corners on opposite sides.
- Then pull up the other two corners, and fold the fabric around the plant.
- Wrap the twine around the canvas and tie it in a bow.
See what we mean about the red-and-pink stripe? Oooooh. Ahhhhhh.