If “be more caring” is at the top of your resolution list, a good first step is setting up some helpful reminders. And of course, we’ve got some ideas about how to do that.
How to be more caring in four easy steps
- Go get our A Year of Caring ‘zine.
- Browse through your contacts.
- Fill in your calendar.
- Set up reminders.
What you’ll need to be more caring in 2020
Our free A Year of Caring ‘zine (download it here)
Your contacts list
Your digital or paper calendar or planner or bullet journal
See how easy this is?
Download our free A Year of Caring ‘zine
Browse through your contacts
Take a look through the folks who pop up regularly in your texts and DMs…and those precious few you actually speak to on the phone (hey, fam). Make a list of the relationships you really want to work on this year.
Then do a bit of digging—either on social media or IRL—and find out about their big days and important moments. Go beyond the obvious dates like birthdays and anniversaries. When did they have kids? Adopt a doggo? When will they graduate? And don’t forget the tough days: the one-year mark after a loved one passed away or the first Valentine’s Day after a break-up.
Fill in your calendar
Jot those important occasions in your own calendar so you’ll know when to send a card, make a phone call, or take someone to lunch.
Add the biggest days and names of your closest friends and family to the Year of Caring ‘zine.
Set up reminders
To keep you on track:
- Set up reminders a few days before big events to get a note in the mail or schedule time together.
- Make notes to check in with friends regularly to find out what’s up in their lives.
- If you use a bullet journal, create a habit tracker for each friend, each card, or each act of kindness.
- Tuck your Year of Caring ‘zine in your bag or keep it on your desk or dresser so “be more caring” is always on your mind.
Want more ideas?
- Create a tiny care package, send a “Just Because” card, and keep in touch with personal notes.
- Commit random acts of kindness.
- Download these free posters to remind you to be awesome.
What are you doing to get organized for the year? Show us on Instagram at @think.make.share