We love when Amber G. stops by Think.Make.Share to let us in on one of her amazing ideas. Today she is sharing her tips for hosting a Mother’s Day brunch filled with handmade touches. Included are the steps and templates to create the sweetest displayable poster and corsages for that special guest of honor!
We usually have brunch for Mother’s Day and even though I love to cook, I’ve found it often leaves me flustered if I’m trying to do it all the day of the party. That can take away from one of the most important things, which is for me to be present and ready to enjoy my guests and make them feel welcome. I want the moms in our family to know that I thought about them ahead of time and cared enough to make it special.
So for our Mother’s Day brunch this year, I’m opting for carryout food, a store-bought cake, and paper plates – but with lots of handmade touches to make our celebration feel more personal. I love paper flowers and thought it would be fun to make a displayable piece that I could hang as a focal point for our brunch and also have paper flower corsages for the guests of honor. These paper flowers are super-easy to make and just require some basic supplies. So cue up Netflix, get a glass of wine, and make with me!
- GATHER SUPPLIES
- 4 sheets of colored cardstock (example has green, navy, ivory, pink)
- color printer
- hot glue gun
- craft pom-poms (example uses 2 colors & sizes of pink)
- dowel rod & twine (or another method of hanging)
- safety pins (for corsages)
- pipe cleaners (for corsages)
- printed templates
- PRINT POSTER BACKGROUND & MAKE HANGABLE. Print the artwork for the background of the poster on 11×17 cardstock. Trim out white edges on sides, and bottom, but leave white strip at top. Fold this strip over the dowel rod, and use hot glue gun to secure. Tie twine on either end of the dowel rod for easy hanging.
- PRINT OUT GUIDES. Using your 4 sheets of colored paper, print the black linework PDF on each sheet to give yourself cutting guides for the flower shapes.
- CUT OUT FLOWER SHAPES.
- ASSEMBLE DIMENSIONAL FLOWERS. For the flowers with dimension (there will be 2 blue and one large white one for the poster; and 2 blue ones for the corsages), curve petals up and inward with your fingers to give some dimensionality. Stack each of the 3-4 layers in the center of the other, each time adding a dot of glue. Adhere pompoms in the center with the glue gun.
- ADHERE FLOWERS TO POSTER. Use a glue stick for this part.
- CREATE CORSAGES. Layer flower shapes and name banners and glue them together in your desired arrangement using a glue gun or gluestick. Adhere a safety pin to the back of the corsages using the hot glue gun.
Have a Happy Mother’s Day!
Share how you add your personal touch to Mother’s Day with us on Instagram @Think.Make.Share!